Personal reflections / impact of Young Onset Parkinson's in life of a late-40's musician,husband,father and teacher. Metaphysical implications of disease, musings on life, music, poetry ...

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Reflections on D-Day


D-day (diagnosis day)... a day that will live in infamy.

Knew it was coming, but it was one nasty rollercoaster. To date, there is no accurate trustworthy test for PD - only sure way to tell is to slice your brain open and take a good look-see at the pigmentation of a brain region dangerously close to your brain stem - short of that diagnosis is reached, essentially, by testing for and ruling out every other possible malady that could cause symptoms. Took over two years in my case, which is not unusual.

Take enough tests and, sure 'nuff, you're 'gonna find something wrong with you. In my case, high levels of arsenic showed up on tests for heavy metals (!) - must be that nice glass of hot tea my wife brings me each and every night. Cut back on fish and managed to get that back in the pocket (...fun test...24 hour urine sample...every drop for one day goes into a special vat).

MRIs are taken to rule out brain lesions. My internist suggested taking an MRI of the neck area (cervical spine)....I was perversely happy to hear that it showed a narrowing on the spinal column (cervical spinal stenos is...) which he thought may be the cause of symptoms. So through the woods and over the dale its off to the neurosurgeon I go...

I felt a tremendous sense of relief, thinking, for a couple of months, that I dodged the shaky bullet with my name engraved - but, on examination, the neurosurgeon did not believe that the spinal compression was significant enough to be causative of the symptoms. Not what I was hoping to hear :( and back to the neurologist I go....

Neurologist concurred - and after 2 years of testing concluded that I indeed was displaying idiopathic Parkinson's. Excused himself for a moment, came back in with a small shmorgasboard of medical samples of Mirapex, Azilect and a couple of other things and more or less said try what you like and let me know if anything works for you.

Upon arriving home, I took out the shiny starter kit of Mirapex....showed a happy smiling grey haired couple - you could see that the wife was admiring her Parkinson's afflicted hubby - you could almost read the invisible text bubble above her head (...gosh hunny, it's ok if you drool and need me to change you, but you're always gonna be one hot studmuffin to me!).
I examined my hands....they smelled of desinex from the last change to my 18 month old little girl....too soon for this stuff, 'freakin way too soon....

No comments: